Michael R. Colonno
Engineering Research Associate
Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics,
357 Durand Building,
Stanford, CA, 94305
2002-2007 Ph.D., Aeronautics & Astronautics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
2001-2002 M.S., Aeronautics & Astronautics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
2003-2010 Director, Aerodynamics Group, Space Exploration Technologies, Hawthorne, CA
1995-1999 B.S., Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Cornell Univerity, Ithaca, NY
Some areas of interests include:
- Green Aviation: Enabling technologies to dramatically reduce or eliminate aviation's need for hydrocarbon fuels and minimize aviation's climate change impact.
- MDAO Methodologies: Tools & techniques that enable high-fidelity MDAO for industry and academia.
- Trajectory Optimization: Pseudospectral and other methods for optimizing launch vehicle, interplanetary, and reentry trajectories with integration to MDAO.
- Space Exploration: New technologies which dramatically improve the performance of launch vehicles and enable deep-space exploration.
- Advanced Rotorcraft: Improving analysis and optimization techniques for rotorcraft and wind turbine applications.
Colonno, M. R., Naik, K., Duriasamy, K., and Alonso, J. J., “An Adjoint-Based Multidisciplinary Optimization Framework for Rotorcraft Systems”, 14th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Indianapolis, IN (2012)
Palacios, F., Alonso. J. J., Colonno, M. R., Hicken, J., Lukaczyk, T., “Adjoint-Based Method for Supersonic Aircraft Design Using Equivalent Area Distribution”, 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Nashville, TN (January 2012)
Alonso, J. J. and Colonno, M. R., “Multidisciplinary Optimization with Applications to Sonic Boom Minimization”, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, (2011)
Colonno, M. R. and Alonso, J. J., “Sonic Boom Optimization Revisited: The Robustness of Low-Boom Designs”, 13th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Fort Worth, TX (September 2010)
Colonno, M. R., Reddi, S, and Alonso, J. J. “Multi-fidelity Trajectory Optimization with Response Surface Based Aerodynamic Performance Prediction”, 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV (January 2008)
Colonno, M. R., van der Weide, E., and Alonso, J. J. “The Optimum Vacuum Nozzle: An MDO Approach”, 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV (January 2008)
Colonno, M. R. and Alonso, J. J. “A Robust Multidisciplinary Optimization Methodology for Launch Vehicle Fairings”, 12th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Victoria, Canada (September 2008)
Burgasser, A. J., Wilson, John C., Kirkpatrick, J. D., Skrutskie, M. F., Colonno, M. R., Enos, A. T., Smith, J. D., Henderson, C. P., Gizis, J. E., Brown, M. E., Houck, J. R., “Discovery of a Bright Field Methane (T-Type) Brown Dwarf by 2MASS”, The Astronomical Journal, Volume 120, Issue 2 (2000)
Wilson, J. C., Skrutskie, M. F., Colonno, M. R., Enos, A. T., Smith, J. D., Henderson, C. P., Gizis, J. E., Monet, D. G., Houck, J. R., “CorMASS: A Compact and Efficient Near-Infrared Spectrograph for Studying Low-Mass Objects”, The Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, Volume 113, Issue 780 (2001)